Get to Know
Dr. Nicole Marie Ortiz, ND FABNE
Philosophy of Care
At a young age, she was often ill. She was misdiagnosed with many ailments, all of which failed to identify the underlying genetic disease that linked all her symptoms together. She was passed along from specialist to specialist – many of whom spent very little time listening to her and prescribed medications with side effects that only made things worse. She desperately wanted to find a doctor that would really take the time to figure out what was causing her symptoms at such a young age and explore treatment options that would FIX her health issues rather than mask them. She felt like each specialist only looked at a small part of her health rather than seeing her as a whole person, in which each system was connected. As a result, her root causes were never uncovered until her late 30s.
Through her personal struggles she was motivated to become the doctor she always dreamed she had. Her desire was to practice medicine in a way that considered a wholism approach to health- mind, body and spirit. She could see how all aspects of her own health were influenced by the food she ate, the mindset she held, her physical activity and the quality of her sleep.
When she discovered integrative medicine in college, she knew immediately that it was her calling. She learned the full spectrum of medicine from around the world – from conventional medicine to natural healing therapies. She was selected as the esteemed summer scholar from Miami University allowing her to conduct research on women’s health in Ecuador.
Learning in a third-world country expanded her mind as to what influences healing in ways she could never have imagined. Exploring how cultures use food, herbs, and spiritual beliefs as medicine helped her realize that naturopathic medicine would allow her to follow a truly holistic path, honoring the practice of healing on a deeper, more expansive level.
The Personal Approach
What she treats
- Endocrine (Hormone) System imbalances
- Chronic Fatigue
- Gastroenterological issues / IBS/ Food allergies
- Metabolic and cardiovascular disease, prediabetes/diabetes, thyroid disease
- Liver disease – fatty liver, alcohol damage, detox impairment
- Chronic pain
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Hair loss through hair rejuvenation therapy and hormone balancing
- Natural skin treatments for rejuvenation and aging gracefully
- The very first of a select few doctors worldwide to be board certified in Naturopathic Endocrinology (2020). This newly formed board specialty is reserved for doctors with expertise in naturopathic endocrinology.
- Serves as the VP of the EndoANP — a specialty group with a mission to elevate the level of education and access to naturopathic hormone management.
- Honored with the ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ award by Palm Springs Life magazine. Recognized as one of the ‘40 Under 40 Rising Young Professionals of the Coachella Valley’ and named the ‘Distinguished Woman of the Year’ for the 42nd Assembly District.
- Featured in Suzanne Somer’s book, Knockout, and on American Health Journal PBS television specials.
- Advisory board member for Nutrabiogenesis, a natural supplement company
- Educator to her peers on endocrinology, gastrointestinal health, and regenerative therapies
- Guest speaker for hormone health education for males and females
- Former Vice-President of the Women Leaders Forum, and currently the Founder/Chair of their Young Women Leaders One-to-One Professional Mentoring Program
- Board member of Human Health Initiative (HHI) – A nonprofit organization to make nutrition available to every high school across the nation
Training and Education
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine from the National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon, with Honors in Research. (2008)
- Bachelors of Philosophy with focus in Integrative Medicine from Miami University; recipient of scholar program for Women’s Health Research Internationally
- Board certification in Naturopathic Endocrinology (2020)
- Endocrinology Association of Naturopathic Doctors (EndoANP) – Board Member
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP)
- California Naturopathic Doctors Association (CNDA)
- International Hormone Society (IHS)
- American Osteopathic Association of Prolotherapy Regenerative Medicine ((AOAPRM)
- American Association of Orthopedic Medicine (AAOM)
- Women Leaders Forum of the Desert – Past Board Member, Vice President
- Shelter From the Storm’s Sheltering Sister Auxiliary – Past Board Member
The Personal Side
- A believer!
- Passionate about lifestyle medicine and practices what she preaches. Well, on most days! Everyone needs a splurge here and there. ☺
- The oldest of 6 children and grew up a caretaker, which heavily influenced her desire to make a career out of caring for others.
- Loves practicing yoga and handstands almost every day, and exploring everywhere she travels with long runs in open spaces.
- A voracious student, and will be as long as she lives. Loves to learn and discover more about the beautiful complexities of the human body.
Meet the Team